PS3 Media Server
Until recently, using the PS3 as a HTPC device was a tedious and almost pointless affair. Installing Linux was a possibility though restricting direct access to the PS3’s RSX GPU pretty much reduced the benefit of using a PS3 in this way.
Using software like TVersity was the closest you could get in turning the Playstation 3 into a functional streaming media device through the method of Transcoding both the video and audio the source material. This requires the use of a PC or Mac to act as the streaming server. Whilst this method works well for Standard Definition devices and for streaming to portable devices like a PSP or a mobile Phone, the loss of quality is considerably noticable on HD TV sets.
Our next Sourced article looks at the latest media streaming software available for the PS3 and it is damn impressive.
PS3 Media Server
PS3 Media Server is a DLNA compliant UPNP Media Server for the PS3, written in Java, with the purpose of streaming or transcoding any kind of media files, with minimum configuration. It's backed up with the powerful Mplayer/FFmpeg packages.
PS3 Media Server is available for OSX, Windows and Linux and can play natively all PS3 supported videos such as AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG and does a fantastic job of transcoding your typical Net formats and containers such as MKV.
Latest Version: PS3 Media Server v1.10.5 for Windows/Linux/OSX
- Ready to launch and play. No codec packs to install. No folder configuration and pre-parsing is required. All folders are directly browsed by the PS3, and it also includes an automatic refresh.
- Real-time video transcoding via MEncoder, tsMuxer or Avisynth
- DVD ISOs images / VIDEO_TS Folder transcoder
- OGG/FLAC/MPC/APE audio transcoding
- Thumbnail generation for Videos
- Supports a virtual folder system using the audio/subtitle language on the PS3
- All formats PS3 natively supports: MP3/WMA, JPG/PNG/GIF/TIFF, and all kind of videos (AVI, MP4, TS, M2TS, MPEG) the PS3 will play
- Display camera RAWs thumbnails (Canon / Nikon, etc.)
- ZIP/RAR files as browseable folders for pictures/audio files
- Support for pictures based feeds, such as Flickr and Picasaweb
- Internet TV / Web Radio support with VLC, MEncoder or MPlayer
- Podcasts audio/ Video feeds support
- Lossless 5.1 PCM transcoding with DTS movies
- Remux video and remux/reencode all audio tracks to AC3/PCM in real time with tsMuxer
- FLAC 96kHz/24bits/5.1 support